FAQs: Course Reserves - Faculty/Staff

FAQs are now available from http://guides.library.hsc.unt.edu/faq. Please update your bookmarks.

1. Can I place my own works on reserve?

You may use your own works if you are the copyright holder. Most publishing agreements, however, assign the copyright to the publisher, not the author. This means that the publisher’s permission is still required for anything that exceeds the limits of our license or the Fair Use exemption.

2. Can I put e-reserves on the Library website myself?

Through ERes, our online course reserve system, you can upload new files for your course. These must be processed by Library staff before they are accessible to students. The appropriate staff members are alerted automatically when a new file is uploaded. Contact the Library's Circulation Department (817-735-2465, libcirc@unthsc.edu) to establish your ERes account.

3. Can I put multiple copies on reserve?

Yes, if this is justified by the class size. We have a limit of one book per 30 students, and the Library will accept a maximum of three copies for reserve.

4. Can I put on reserve the same materials that I used before?

Yes, with some restrictions. Originals and most currently licensed resources pose no problems whatsoever. Unlicensed photocopies or electronic copies, however, can be used only once under the Fair Use exemption of the copyright law. Subsequent uses require permission from the publisher and, typically, payment of royalties. The Library staff can assist with obtaining permissions, and any royalty payments will be passed through to the department. The cost varies according to the work, the duration of the use, and the number of students in the class.

5. How do I put things on reserve in the library?

Submit a Reserve Request form, which is available at the Service Desk and on the Course Reserves webpage. Requests must come from a faculty member or a UNTHSC department.

6. How much can I copy for reserves?

A single article from a given periodical issue, or one chapter from a book. These limits are based on the Model Policy of the American Library Association and national guidelines such as the 1996 Conference on Educational and Library Fair Use (CONFU). Please contact the Library before making copies; we may be able to provide a link to licensed materials, or have other solutions to save you time and effort. In no case can a copy of an entire in-copyright work be used for reserve without permission from the copyright owner; this includes images and computer files. Before copying, check to see if the Library owns the work or has purchased electronic access to it; if so, there is no need to make a copy and the restrictions can be avoided.

7. What’s the big deal about copyright?

Copyright gives authors and other creators certain rights under federal law. There are some exemptions for libraries and for educational uses, but the University must operate within their boundaries or pay the copyright holders to use their work. Copyright law controls the use of copies for reserves, as well as copies that Library staff members make to fulfill document delivery or interlibrary loan requests. Originals, whether owned by the Library or by the instructor, can circulate freely. Increasingly, though, information resources are provided electronically. Our use of them is typically controlled not by copyright law, but by our license agreements with individual publishers and content aggregators. The Library has the responsibility to monitor and to abide by these legal agreements. We are happy to help you make the best decisions regarding copyright, and can assist you in obtaining rights to use materials.

8. Where can I get more information about course reserves?

The Guide to Course Reserves contains links to other resources. Questions can be addressed to libcirc@unthsc.edu, or to one of the following staff members:
Search FAQs